- City Government
- Citizen’s Canine Academy
Citizen’s Canine Academy
Implemented in 2005, the Lenoir Police Department has been pleased to offer a Citizen's Canine Academy each year. K-9 Officers from within the department instruct citizens on basic obedience exercises with their pets. This training provides owners a chance to conduct "hands on" training with pets to improve obedience issues.
No aggression or protection training is offered in this course.
There is no cost to attend the training; however, donations to supplement the canine budget are graciously accepted.
Classes are held every Thursday night from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. for 7 weeks with applications submitted in late August. (see application for class info) Time is allowed for a review of what was covered during previous sessions, as well as to introduce new exercises and address individual problems. Training takes place at various locations inside the city. Class size is kept small to provide an appropriate instructor/handler ratio.
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or older; (participants 16-18 must be accompanied at all times by a parent or guardian.
- Only applicants from inside Caldwell County will be considered, with priority given to residents inside the City limits of Lenoir.
- No dogs under 6 months of age will be accepted.
- Only one dog allowed per household.
- Applicants are subject to a background check and must sign a release of liability.
- No overly aggressive dogs will be accepted for training. No aggression or protection training will be provided.
- Dogs must have current vaccinations to include distemper, parvo, rabies and kennel cough. Immunization records must be submitted on or before the first class meeting.
- Canines must be receiving regular flea and tick treatments.
- Training will require the use of chain slip collars, approved leashes and some type of reward item. Equipment will be discussed during the first training session.
- This training is conducted outdoors and requires standing for long periods of time and continuous walking.
About the Instructors
All Officers have attended the required Handler's Course at the Lenoir Police Department with their canine partners, and they routinely conduct ongoing training throughout the year. (see brochure for more detail)