Hood System Requirements
Automatic Extinguishing System Requirements
The following information must be submitted to and approved by the Fire Marshal’s Office prior to any installation per section 901.2 of the North Carolina State Fire Prevention Code and future revisions. Additional information may be required prior to the approval of the submitted plans. The above requested information is not all-inclusive.
- A completed Caldwell County Building Permit application
- A scaled and detailed floor plan with the system designer indicated and the date of the design. The scale must be clearly indicated. An elevation drawing must be included with plans for high rise buildings.
- The type of system being installed including the manufacturer’s model numbers, UL listing date and total flow points available
- The business name and address of the installation must be indicated
- The installers name, certification, and date of the last manufacturer’s training school attended. Also include a copy of your certificate unless a copy is already on file with the Fire Marshal’s Office.
- Clearly indicate all of the systems components including the location, number and height of all protection nozzles and the flow points.
- Number and dimensions of all exhaust ducts including the location, number and height of all protection nozzles
- Number and dimensions of all hoods including the locations, number and height of all protection nozzles
- Number and dimensions of all plenums including the location, number and height of all protection nozzles
- Number, description, and dimensions of all appliances being protected including the location, number, the height of all protection nozzles and flow points
- Number, location, and temperature rating of all detection devices
- Number and location of all manual activation devices
- Type of fuel being utilized and type of shutoffs being provided
- Location, type, and size of all portable fire extinguishers
- The method of annunciation must be indicated.
- Booth specifications and manufacture’s installation information
- Ventilation specifications and CFM calculations
- Plans and construction documents must be mailed or hand delivered. No fax copies.
- After acceptance testing has been completed and witnessed by the Fire Marshal or his/her representative, the installing company shall provide the owner/occupant and the Fire Marshal with a written letter of certificate of compliance.
Codes Used in the Review
- Applicable National Fire Protection Association Standards
- North Carolina State Building Code
- North Carolina State Fire Prevention Code
- North Carolina State Mechanical Code